In addition to my academic writing, I also write for a public audience. Check out the following stories in print and online:
- Give Apple Maps a Chance, CNN Opinion October 5, 2012, about my experiences breaking up with Google, and why Apple's decision to lauch their own maps application offers users more choice.
- Seminar's Relevance, Op Ed in The Daily Princetonian April 4, 2012, about the possibilities for educational technologies that take the seminar seriously as a point of departure for design.
- Lost in Space? Cuts to NASA Threaten Innovation, Diplomacy, Op Ed at PBS Need To Know, February 27, 2012, on the topic of the FY2013 NASA budget cuts and the problems they pose for international collaboration.
- Where are the Women in the Technology Top 30 Under 30?, Op Ed in Forbes Woman, December 21, 2011, took Forbes to task for including only two women in their Top 30 Under 30 on Technology.
- Our Favorite Martians, a feature article in Air and Space Magazine discussing my work on the Mars Rover mission, March 2010.
- Doing the Rover Dance, published in Ambidextrous Magazine aimed at the design and human computer interaction community, 2009.
- My work on the London Underground Map was also featured in a page spread in National Geographic in July, 2008, pictured below.
- Ever wonder why Neil Armstrong landed in the Sea of Tranquility instead of on Sicily? My work on mapping and naming the moon was published in Endeavour Magazine in 2004.
Public presentations and videos:
- My talk at the San Francisco Exploratorium about how the Mars Exploration Rover scientists learn to "see like a Rover" is online here.
Radio hosting and interviews:
- I was a guest panelist on KALW 91.7fm San Francisco's Your Call to discuss the future of space exploration, August 15, 2012. Audio recording is online here
- I presented weekly original segments on topics in contemporary science on Science Corner on CKNW980 Vancouver's Jennifer Mather Show.
- I was the co-host of Cambridge University Radio's The Science Show.
I tweet as @cyberlyra on Twitter: follow me! Follow @cyberlyra
Check out my images in the Gallery below.